Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuna Hot

If the question of what to have for lunch vexes you like it does me, then you can imagine my delight when Kyle came home from a business trip with a great new idea for lunch. What, your husband doesn’t share recipes with you?? Ok, so mine doesn’t either.

Here’s what happens when Kyle goes on business trips: when he goes to his company’s headquarters, he usually stays with our good friends, Kristian and Brandi. And let me tell you a little about Miss Brandi. You would hate her for being so perfect if not for the sweetness and humility that pours from her. Besides the God-given ability to effortlessly pop out gorgeous children every 10 minutes or so, she (along with her equally talented husband) can design and decorate a ready-for-a-magazine house (it really has been in a magazine), and so important to this hungry family, the girl. can. cook. So Kyle always comes home will a full meal report and firm instructions to obtain specific recipes (more on that in a minute). Not only can this mama cook, but she can cook for days on end for many gaggles of people, all without breaking a sweat or forgetting to smile or ask you penetrating questions about yourself. See what I mean? Oh, and I’ve seen her do all of this like 45 weeks pregnant. I’m not kidding. To make it worse, she weighs like 100 lbs even after all those kids, and she’s a total fashionista. AND… she homeschools and loves Jesus. I mean… really.

What’s even better, she invented something for lunch that my husband loves and is not too difficult for me to replicate at home when I’m in the mood to make him something yummy. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what I most admire about the lovely Brandi.
So here’s what she did. She mixed up some tuna salad (Kyle likes it with mustard, a tiny bit of mayo, salt and pepper) and stuffed it into these cute little peppers, and voila-- lunch is served. I normally like to put celery and onions in my tuna for some crunch and spice, but the peppers cover both bases, and less chopping = one happy, hungry mother. You can use any type of peppers- I chose these Anaheims but you could use bell peppers, and I think Brandi used the small stoplight ones you can get in big bags at Costco. That makes for a very pretty presentation.
Another favorite part of this lunch is that I get to sing that rockin Kool and the Gang song from the 80s, "Too Hot" because my brother, who was very little at the time, thought they were saying, "Tuna Hot." And that's just what you're gonna think of these little numbers.


1 comment:

  1. Like the new blog. Food and you. Two of my favorite things!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?