Thursday, August 26, 2010

Summer = Basil

As summer winds down I'm thankful for one thing: that the basil in my herb garden that defines all that is good about summer will last long into the fall. I like to think of it as God's consolation prize for making me live in a crispy-hot climate. And while I find millions of uses for basil while it is flourishing - a mix-in for salads or salad dressing or a topping for grill-roasted vegetables-- nothing compares to a heaping plate of bright, peppery, velvety pesto.

I have rarely tasted pesto as good as my mom's, so I have a high standard to compare myself to. But my mom subscribes to the same cooking philosophy as I do-- our best meals are made from recipes tucked somewhere in the recesses of our hungry minds, refined to taste as we go. So... if you need a step-by-step recipe, head over to epicurious. But if you want to celebrate the last days of summer with the best pesto ever, do what my mom does: start with a huge bunch of bright, fresh, basil. Rinse it and throw it in the food processor with a clove of garlic, a snow-heap of grated parm, and a generous handful of toasted pinenuts. Drizzle in olive oil until you get the right consistency and season it with plenty of salt and pepper. The flavors are so distinct that you will easily be able to tell what you need more of. Once you get it right, toss it with freshly cooked pasta, top it with a bunch more grated Parmesan, and mangia

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?