Monday, July 5, 2010

A Texas Reuben


It's hard to find two things better than farmers markets and reuben sandwiches. So it's not shocking that the gorgeous round of rye I found at the farmers market on Saturday led to a stack of beautiful reubens after church on Sunday.

But these were not your mother's reubens.

I knew I had some sauerkraut on hand, but I sure didn't have any corned beef or pastrami lying around. (Corned beef would never make it to the "lying around" stage at our house since all three of us love it, along with most salty, fatty meats.) But like any self-respecting Texan, I did have some leftover brisket and pepperjack as well as some spicy brown mustard to stand in place of the thousand island that my husband would not let past his lips if you had a gun to his head. Out came my trusty griddle, and the Bbq Reuben was birthed in my kitchen. Or should I call it the Bbqben? Or the Reubq? Whatever you want to call this crunchy, tangy, spicy delight, it was a crowd pleaser and has not made its last appearance in this Texas kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?