Sunday, June 13, 2010

Semi-Cake Mix Chocolate Cake


I have always loved baking cakes but I have sometimes been hesitant to make from-scratch cakes, because I was never thrilled with the work to deliciousness ratio.  I mean, why use a complicated recipe with 15 ingredients when you can get a perfectly delicious cake using a cake mix? And then I happened upon a very happy mixture of the two - no pun intended- when one of my cooking heros, the famous Cindy M, told me that she sometimes adds ingredients to cake mixes to make them yummier. Granted-- Cindy is known far and wide for from-scratch cakes that make you want to move in, but sometimes even the best bakers use mixes. Thankfully she's also generous, and she let loose some secrets to turning a so-so cake mix into a "oh my gosh I need this recipe" crowd pleaser.

My family is filled with chocaholics, so all of the birthday cakes made around here are some variation of chocolate. The variations for my brother Danny (bottom picture above) and his oldest son Rhys include extra chocolate. For Danny's cake, I added chocolate chips, chocolate pudding mix and a stick of melted butter in place of the oil that the recipe calls for. Yes, you read that right- what recipe does melted butter not make better? The filling between the layers was cream cheese mixed in the food processor with oreos, which, if you haven't tried-- stop reading right now and go to the store for oreos and cream cheese.

For Marlow's cake (top photo), I made the budding epicurean an extra-moist cake by adding a half-cup of mayo and a package of chocolate pudding mix. Are you getting my theme here? Extra fat- in the form of mayo, melted butter or sour cream, add something special to an ordinary cake. Chocolate chips, chocolate pudding mix or melted chocolate add an extra-chocolatey element. Fun fillings like the cream cheese-oreo mix or even store-bought frosting spiked with your favorite candy (think M&Ms or Butterfinger) add yet another delightfully homemade element to your semi-store bought creation.

As far as decorating goes, I like to personalize birthday cakes with colored sugars, rolled fondant, or piped flowers, all of which can be made by the most novice of bakers-- but that's another post. In the meantime, let me know what your fave add-ins are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?